Until the end of the First World War in 1918, Catholics from Eccleston walked to Mawdesley for mass on Sunday mornings.
In 1919 mass began to be celebrated in the house at the end of Grove Crescent, which at that time was a chip shop, serving the cotton mill across the road.
Building of the present church began in 1919 and was completed in 1922. It remained a Chapel of Ease to Mawdesley parish until 1954, when it became a parish in its own right. The apse was added in 1958, and the tower in 1963. In 1990 the church was reordered by architect, Peter Gilbey. As many of the original furnishings as possible were kept and restored to blend in with the new surroundings.